Calvin and Hobbes, On Writing

The Examiner Examines … Me (On Writing about Education) [Why We Write]

Jose 2 Comments

Calvin and Hobbes, On Writing

Recently, Wendy Coakley-Thompson interviewed me for the Washington, DC Publishing Industry Examiner about education, writing, and how my passions intersect:

2. In what ways do both poetry and education writings satisfy your need for creative self-expression?

Poetry satisfies my more creative urges, where I get to play with the more ethereal, the emotional, the wedges where I don’t have to be professional, or, more succinctly, where I can be the me that my friends know. My education writing touches on the professional, but I also get to do things within that sphere that not many do. I get to mix the events that happen in the classroom and juxtapose them with what happened outside of it, and present it to people who don’t normally think about that.

To read more, please go there, comment, like, and share. Thank you.

Jose, who is a writer and a math teacher, without contradiction in those spaces …

About Jose Vilson

José Luis Vilson is a math educator, blogger, speaker, and activist. For more of my writing, buy my book This Is Not A Test: A New Narrative on Race, Class, and Education, on sale now.

Jose VilsonThe Examiner Examines … Me (On Writing about Education) [Why We Write]

Comments 2

  1. John Norton

    I love this C&H cartoon – never seen it before. As somebody who edits teacher writing just about every day, I can say with confidence that 90% of K12 teachers don’t write this way. The other 10% aspire to become “higher” educators. 8^)=

    1. Post
      Author

Leave a Reply